Board of Directors Summer Planning Meeting Minutes
Ground Round Restaurant
Attendees: Bob Chaput
2. Budget 2005-2006: Chris Taylor (Section Treasurer) unable to attend meeting. Chris’ draft budget was reviewed by line item. Following modifications suggested by board members:
i. Line Item 34, ACEC Fall Forum: ASCE participation expected to be minimal; revise to $0.00 budget.
ii. Line Item40, Miscellaneous: Revise to $0.00 budget.
iii. Line Item 46, ASCE SPAG Grant: Erik Wiberg to prepare MEPC/Eweek related grant; Received $7,500 last year, show $5,000 (nets out to zero with line item 96.
iv. Line Item 47, Informant: Remove line item from budget.
i. Line Item 54, Communications: Website and Informant Newsletter: Increase to $5,500. See Informant/Webpage committee report below.
ii. Line Item 60, Student Chapter: No one could recall discussion on disbursements last year. Be thought disbursement made in fall after budget books have been finalized for the year. Bob Chaput to contact UMaine student chapter faculty leader.
iii. Line Item 65h, UMaine Gift Account: Increase to $1,000.
iv. Line Item 90, Scholarship, Gifts, UMaine Pace Setter: Increase to $5,000 for application to scholarship. Leslie reported strong interest from high school students last year.
v. Line Item 92, Legislative Affairs: Decrease to $700.
vi. Line Item 97, Miscellaneous: Increase to $300.
vii. Line Item 96, ASCE SPAG Grant: Increase to $5,000 (nets to zero with line item 46.
c. Request revision by Chris Taylor for board action at September meeting.
a. Tim Merritt reviewed plans for monthly meetings. October joint meeting with NH Chapter has fallen through.
b. The board formed a Program Committee comprised of the Section Vice –President will chair the Program Committee, President-Elect, and Technical Seminar Committee Chair. Objective is to coordinate program development and provide institutional memory.
a. Informant/Webpage (Walter Fagerlund and Patricia Korbet)
i. Walter and Patricia would like to explore outsourcing of website updates due to broadband and time demands. A request for member support will be made in the Informant. Private consultants will also be solicited.
ii. Informant submission deadline remains the 25th of every month.
b. Younger Members (Jennifer Tulie)
55 tickets acquired for
c. Membership Recruitment: (Be Schonewald): Position usually held by past president. Status quo. Primary venues/attraction is monthly meetings and technical seminar. Increase meeting fees for non-Maine Section member was discussed. Would be difficult to manage. Erik presented information compiled for SPAG grant report; information shows that national members assigned to Maine Section has increase over past several years and percent of Maine Section members who are “current” in dues has also increases.
d. A/E Legislative Task Force (Jeremy Bragg and Be Schonewald). Board agreed that A/E Task Force and Government Relations Chair should be combined.
e. DEP Task Force (Dirk Brunner): Slow moving group. No hot topics. Group originated from ACEC initiative. Dirk to continue in roll.
f. Scholarship (Leslie Corrow). Leslie to continue to manage
g. Model Contest (Be Schonewald): Interest has been disappointing last few years. Brief discussion to tie into scholarship campaign, but decided against since the scholarship is for graduating students and the model contest is open to all primary educations students. Bob Chaput and Eric Landis to coordinate in disseminating model contest information to the schools.
Transportation Conference (Bob Chaput)- Kickoff meeting
i. Technical Seminar (Walter F.)- Not much to report at this time. Need to get ideas to Walter.
5. Old Business
a. Board Members for Candidates for Engineer/Young Engineer of the Year- Some general discussion on the subject but decided to table until September board meeting due to time constraints.
b. ASCE Re-governance Zone 1 meeting- Joint meeting with N.E. Council Meeting to be held in Albany, NY on September 10, 2005.
Blodgett’s Welding Seminar: Jeremy Bragg reporters that
Blodgett’s is interested in holding seminar in the
6. New Business
a. Government Relations Chair-Jeremy Bragg interested in chair will work with Be Schonewald.
b. Eweek SPAG Grant
c. Report of Leadership- National needs this report of our Leadership for the coming year. Bob C. to put together with assistance from Walter F.
d. Historic Landmark for Cold Regions Conference- Pretty much have exhausted the Historic Landmarks but if anyone has an idea please contact Phil Dunn.
e. 2006 Cold Regions Papers (Hands-on)- General announcement that Phil D. was looking for local engineers to submit abstracts for the Cold Region Conference. The abstracts due in October.